An attention to detail that sets us apart
Whether you are looking for a custom solar transit solution or need to deliver on promises for shelter advertising, the team at Urban Solar is committed to providing innovative, custom solutions for your commercial solar lighting needs.
We work with you to understand your unique needs and offer expert advice.
Based on the needs of our municipal clients across North America, we created Real Time Clock (RTC) functionality to turn off solar lighting at set times and provide greater light output during the spring, summer and fall months.
- Proactive reliability
- Lighting on your schedule
- No wasted energy
- No false activations
Our clients often ask: “How can I ensure my solar lighting systems will operate reliably for a decade or more?”
By providing free site surveys, we can help you accomplish this based on two key considerations.
- First, we size every system, taking into account how much energy is available and the required illumination level.
- Then, we ensure that each system will receive sufficient sunlight throughout the year.
One-size-fits-all is a poor approach for both shoes and solar lighting.
In order to provide optimal performance, standalone solar lighting systems must be sized based on their installation location. There are two reasons for this:
- In a standalone system, the energy in must be greater or equal to the energy out at all times; otherwise, battery capacity is depleted and the lights will go out.
- The amount of solar insolation (exposure to the sun’s rays) also differs depending on your location in the world.
To account for these factors, battery systems are sized based on your required light levels for your location.
The team at Urban Solar provides expert advice and customized solutions from our research-driven approach. We consider the following when consulting with our customers and providing a solution that will meet their needs:
- IES studies
- Rules of thumb (i.e. pole spacing at five times mounting height)
- Power budget
- ‘Just enough’ light levels on the ground
“Standards can be very low or nonexistent when you are specifying solar lighting equipment. Requiring a Listing mark among other requirements sets a bar for safety and quality for the manufacturers that works with us.”
– Joe Meer, Director of Procurement, Morongo Basin Transit Authority
Almost all Urban Solar lighting systems are UL-listed. This means that all Urban Solar systems have been independently tested and certified to meet standards for outdoor ratings including rain, heat and cold exposure, impact resistance of exterior electronic components like the PV module, and battery charging system tests like charging/discharging